The idea and practice of bathing in heat (like a sauna) has been around for hundreds of years. But most recently, the infrared sauna, an alternative to the traditional Finnish-style sauna, has taken the world by storm.
Saunas are used for various purposes, including detoxification, relaxation, and treating or preventing various health conditions like heart disease and Alzheimer’s. This article will explore the different types of saunas, including why infrared saunas in Tampa are the best.
What is an infrared sauna?
An infrared sauna uses infrared heat waves transmitted by carbon heaters to warm the sauna. Unlike traditional saunas, the structure itself is heated, not the air inside. They are usually made of natural softwood that is resistant to high temperatures.
The purpose of an infrared sauna is healing, which is done through two different aspects. Firstly, because of the heat it is subjected to, the softwood of the structure begins to release phytoncides, which are organic compounds with antibacterial and anti-fungal qualities. When we breathe in phytoncides, our bodies increase the production of a white blood cell type that kills off cells in our bodies that are infected with tumors and viruses.
Second, the sauna causes excessive heating, which helps release harmful toxins and substances from the body. These toxins, which usually make their way through the entire bloodstream or digestive s system, can be ejected through the skin's pores.
Benefits of an infrared sauna in Tampa
There are numerous ways in which infrared saunas can benefit people. Some of these include:
- An improved heating method
- Boosted metabolism
- Improved blood circulation
- A non-physical workout
- Central nervous system improvement
- Sports recovery
- Accelerated detoxification
What is a traditional sauna?
Traditional saunas are heated by a physical source like a wood-burning stove or heated stones. While the air humidity in dry saunas is low, the air temperature can reach between 150 to 195°F, whereas infrared saunas are typically between 120 and 150°F. The higher humidity in traditional saunas will prevent your sweat from evaporating, causing you to feel much warmer.
Benefits of a traditional sauna
The advantages of traditional saunas are the following:
- Fat burning
- Elimination of viruses and bacteria
- Pain reduction
Benefits of an infrared sauna vs. traditional sauna
Infrared saunas excel in four areas over traditional or dry saunas — efficiency, mobility, availability, and frequency. Let’s take a closer look at each of these:
- Efficiency. Infrared saunas can be set up in a few minutes, only need to be plugged into a regular outlet, and take about five minutes to heat up.
- Mobility. These saunas can be installed anywhere there is an electrical outlet, as long as there’s space. Install it in your lounge, office, workplace, or holiday home.
- Availability. Infrared saunas are available almost anywhere. If you don’t want to buy one, you can likely find one at your nearest gym or spa.
- Frequency. Unlike a traditional sauna, the lower heat of the infrared sauna means you can have more regular sessions.
Contact us to learn more.
If you’d like to learn more about our infrared sauna in Tampa, FL, please don’t hesitate to contact our team. Our experts at Better Health Wellness Center want to do everything we can to promote healthy living in our neighbors, so feel free to get in touch to schedule your appointment today. Give us a call at 321-259-8285 or send a message via our contact form.